Mediterranean Style Turkey Meatballs + Yogurt Sauce
I recently had my friend Tommy over for my favorite Sunday activity: wine and apps! I made some herbalicious Mediterranean style turkey meatballs with yogurt sauce and he brought some delicious better-for-you deviled eggs :) While you'll have to ask Tommy for the devilish recipe, below are all the easy steps to flavor filled #youkongdoit approved protein.
For the Meatballs:
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup minced white onion
- 1/4 cup whole grain panko breadcrumbs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 teaspoon minced fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-pound ground turkey
For the Cucumber Yogurt Sauce (Tzatziki):
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Finely chopped English cucumber
- Prepare Meatballs: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray rimmed baking pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl or mixer, stir together garlic, egg, onion, breadcrumbs, oregano, mint and salt. Add turkey and mix until just combined.
- Using hands, gently form into golf ball-sized meatballs. Toss them from hand to hand so the meat compacts into a tighter ball. I put a little olive oil on my hands to keep the turkey meat from sticking. Place meatballs on greased pan.
- Bake meatballs 18-20 minutes.
- As the meatballs are cooking, prepare Yogurt Sauce. In small bowl, stir together all ingredients.
- When the meatballs are cooked, to get that golden/crispy outside I put some oil in a sauce pan and browned the balls until they looked picture perfect. Just a minute or two on each side or else they’ll dry up.
- Cheers! We paired the meatballs and eggs with whole wheat pita, hummus and mixed olives for a full feast.